Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Eid Mubarak....or the end of Ramadan


The feeling of accomplishment, kind of pride and relief....the mixture of feelings in me about the end of the holy month of Ramadan.

I did it, I did fast till the very end, without breaking it for even a single time. From having it very hard, through the feelings of enjoying and getting it as usually, till the last very boring days (when everybody was just waiting for the end of the month) I did it. And I don't regret I took this choice.

I had the opportunity to see people here differently and to live something with them what is very much only them and very much not understood in the western world. Also I think I had the opportunity to better understand the Christian Easter and the meaning of resurrection. (Do you know how does it feel to have a normal breakfast in normal breakfast time after a month of not seeing food at daylight??? - This is resurrection :P) And also that if I could manage to do everything I wanted during this months, then what I'm really capable of doing on a normal month? And when I feel that even the first half normal nightsleep (and only 6 hours) how much energy it gave, you kinda get the feeling of "being back online".
Pretty hard to compile the experience of Ramadan into a few lines, so I just want to highlight one point concerning this month: we do not understand it! Before coming here I also studied about Islam, kind of had an idea of what Ramadan means...officially. And also had the impression of having the Arab world dead and that is it.
It is true they are dead, not many things are working....and I'm not saying it should be like that, but how the hell does Europe judge it so harshly when most people does not even know when it is? (I also did not know before). This is some sort of eye opening thing of how many topics we have no idea about, but we judge it in a very determined way.
Now I kind of also understand why it hurts muslims that much the Dannish cartoons about prophet Mohammed. Why you make fun of something what the society does not understand, or rather has no real information about besides the media (khmm, European media).
This idea can be generalized to many things, not just Islam. Many Europeans say that we are so open minded, but isn't it some sort of cover for the feeling of being more than others? Honestly, I don't know. Don't want to judge other countries, don't know how much they really know about the "mysterious" parts of the world, but it kind of made me understand why people are angry about a few things what the 'enlightened' part of the world is doing.....kind of being enlightened and that is why being sometimes narrow minded.
Don't want to go into politics and such, makes no sense. It is the time to enjoy Eid and the holidays :) Even if it is a very family oriented holiday (meaning that on the first day evening everyone is visiting family, so I'm left at home - time to sleep, hehe). But generally things are nice and I love the opportunity to rest a bit and just enjoy being in the country.

4 comments:

Meli said...

Dear Szaki!

You've just formulated my thoughts, which popped up in my mind as i met an Arabic here in Germany, about Ramadan, the European or Western media...

it was interesting to read your comments, feelings, thoughts about ramadan, thanks for it :)

Take care and enjoy the Eid Mubarak and your time in Jordan!

Meli

Jaq - Jakab Zoltán said...

True and honest congratulations and respect!
You did it...

What you wrote is so true about the narrow minded thinking of the western world. Ive already mentioned this. But every time I read or experince something like this, I feel that I'm so small...

So now super Szaki comes and pushes every limit? :D

Дослідник said...

Having been in Ukraine for last week I realize how much culturally insensitive we are compared to my friends in Jordan. We claim we are open minded, but actually they are more perspective and open minded than we are.
Eid Mubarak! :)

karuna said...

Respect to you for doing this. I mean I never ever doubted that Mr. persistant aka szaki would make it through the month but seriously. And Eid Mubarak to you!

I can't imagine the cultural experience/shock you are having but I hope you enjoy it. I am missing the shock a bit. Paris is European so not that different.

Always good to see something new.