Monday, September 1, 2008

Ramadan Kareem!

Post written at 4 am, in the morning, on the first of September

So Ramadan has started....just right now. For me it started with an SMS from Oksana telling me to drink at least one liter of water (the first half a liter was easy...the secon half not, especially taking into account that some sort of food should also find place in my stomach at this very early hour).
To be pretty honest yet there is not much to write about Ramadan...will see after getting through the first week. For Sure it will be a unique experience. (meanwhile I hear the first prayer....tells me I don't know what exactly, but for sure meaning to eat faster if I want to have something in my stomach by the next one :P - but it is also amazing to hear the echo of this call for prayer, the city is half asleep, everyone in his/her home, but a bit alive to eat and drink - as in the next 12 hours it is forbidden for anyone fasting and highly discouraged to eat or drink in public to anyone else).
Ramadan (as I heard from the guys here) are about a few things, most of them fitting to my value set and way of thinking. They say that it is feeling close to the poor, by understanding what they are going through, it is also reconnecting yourself to your inside, and naturally to Allah. Well re-connecting (or connecting) to Allah is not really my way of approaching Ramadan as I am still not and never been religious, but the other two based on the stories are kind of making sense. Starving a bit for sure forces you to think about your own limits and actually how much you can stand. For Muslim people it might not be that powerful though, as they are "used to" having Ramadan, but as of myself it will be a true test of will power and self control (already pushing down this one liter of water needs a bit of will....and it is barely the beginning).

Also I'm pretty curious about Iftar (this is the "dinner" at the end of the day - after sunfall). We have been invited (with Sasha) to Oksana (or Abeer, but Oksana was faster :P) for the first Iftar. (being honest Oksana's Iftar as first Iftar is more attractive from the sense that she can help me as a foreigner, she fasted the first time last year). But it is also a month told not to be alone, will see, inshallah :P

I believe this is one of the advantages of living abroad...and adding up to be an AIESECer ever. Otherwise I don't think I would ever dare to fast. This is really the way when you can understand things. Like before this year I was thinking about Ramadan like a month when the Muslim world is kind of "out of service". And even if I would have seriously thought about it, it is already very not the same than talking to the guys and hearing what they think about Ramadan. The touch of it, the fact that it is happening around me and here in Jordan, with me makes it something way different than as it would be at any other corner of the world.....I shall see :)

Alsot the 1st of September is marking the first 3 months (wooo, already one quarter of a year :P ) passing by in my stay in Jordan. 10 more to go.
Considering the amount of things happening in these 3 months, only if it continues with less than half intensity, it will be a year which will lead me to no idea where exactly :P Seriously! I was thinking of a lot of things I want to see in myself being challenged and becoming stronger, or changing. And I'm already way ahead in the process.....very way ahead with things I have never expected. So I really don't know where it is ending up (if it ever ends :P)
Also in the last two weeks I kind of started to think about what is next after this term. It is not yet anything concrete as I have at least half a year more to decide what to do next, but the fact of getting this week 3 job offers made me think of it a bit. We will see, options are out there, I just need to pick my choice and go for it :P

Ok, it is time to go back to bed...wish me luck and power :P

4 comments:

Jaq - Jakab Zoltán said...

Eeeeerm

Good luck?:)

Anonymous said...

Hey mate,

Just endure! It's gonna be a kind of fun especially if you know exactly why you want to keep this Ramadan.
Enjoy it ;)

Anonymous said...

Good Luck :D:D
Congrats on the job offers, I'm kindda hating you right now :P

karuna said...

Ramadan Kareem Szaki! And all the others you spend Ramadan with.

I hope you not only survive but enjoy the experience. I know the Iftar is yuuummmyyy. Being from bombay I'm a bit of a cheater. I dont really fast but I get to enjoy the yuummmyy Ramadan food in the evening. :)
The wonders of a cosmopolitan society I tell you. :)