Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Chill out

Ok, so I do not usually tend to write a lot about how I'm chilling out (yaay, my workaholic, competitive attitude :)), but I must say that this hang out worth a few lines.

I already noticed that here people know how to stop, they do run crazy during the days, sometimes I feel that I run brainless, but then they are really able to slow down and stop. Well, based on last nights experience stop is full stop here, an amazing full stop. The very weird thing that after this full stop it is much more easy to pick up the crazy daily speed, so I'm kind of understanding and feeling the flow of life...or at least for a while I do.

So we went to hang out in the downtown of Amman. You should not imagine the downtown as in Budapest, meaning it is far not the fanciest place on earth, but it is very authentic and you do feel the culture dumping through the streets. So we went to have dinner first (as usual I finished half a chicken on my own :P) and then went buyong DVD movies. First I was kind of suspicious, as I did not have that much money, that why to go and buy such stuff....but then the first schock: here a DVD is 1 JD (or if you buy more then it is even less...1 JD is about 0,9 Euro). So, woooo, I have know movies to watch :)

But this was not even the best part...besides going crazy funny and trying baby sunglasses and stupid hats we went to a place called Jafra. It is pretty hard to describe it, but first, before entering it is scary....a veery old building, you just can not decide to run, cry or run crying when you see the stairs. But then you enter and a swing of realy arab feeling simply hits you and makes you feel amazed, although you don't know that it is not all! From the inside the furniture and everything is very much reflecting the culture, but in the same time it is a very modern place with wireless internet, waiter submitting orders through PDA and such.
And you just sit down and order argila - sisha (or you trust in your Jordanian team mate - thanks Abeer!) and then comes the real fun. Besides laughing on each other and on yourself (we have been with interns together) that how you can not smoke shisha you just feel releived. Pretty hard to describe the atmosphere, but everything is easy, smooth flowing and relaxed, somehow you really feel that the world stops....never ever before had this feeling, but now I simply love it and I know that I will need it more during this year and hopefully my whole life :) Time stops, you smoke, chat, drink (water) and just breathe...and that's it! I think I did not feel this much relaxed in the last years, simply amazing!
So I belive people here know how to stop...and this is definitely one thing I want to learn from Jordanians, it is a true national talent! You must come and try it, you can not really feel it when you read it...you might just nodd, that 'yeah, very true'...very true but not the same as to feel it!

The other weird thing is a sign of getting settled in Jordan. In the last week two locals asked me for directions (and finding printing place) and we had a ride to Irbid on bus and just figuring out that I was the only one who have ever went by bus to Irbid before was a funny feeling. I'm proud of having these moments, although I still feel weird, so I have to work further on getting settled and feeling comfortable here in Jordan, but these are definitely cool signs.

Also at work many things are happening, though I don't want to write a lot about it. I enjoy what I'm doing still, I have loooot to do, but i'm energized (even if I'm sleepy or sleepless :P), but it is cool to be here. I had a deep point last week and I think Oksana pretty well pointed out what I need: relax and give time to yourself to define what is Jordan for you...thanks for the advice, it worked! So, now I'm up and back again, hoping to never get down to that level of frustration what I had last week :) I'm moving on, yella!

No comments: